AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Married to a Profession

Sometimes I envy my friends whose husbands work 9-5 jobs. The ones whose husbands are home every night, except for maybe the occasional business trip. Sometimes. But most of the time I'm grateful for the often hectic schedule of a life that my husband and I live. Most people wouldn't understand it. My husband works 24 hour shifts, 3 times a week ... and more if he gets held over for overtime (which is fabulous money; how could we refuse?!).



But why say that I married a profession, in additon to the man of my dreams? Because the profession is more than a job to those in the fire service. It's a way of life....a different way of life than that of my friends whose husbands work 9-5. My husband has 16 weekends off a year. Yes, 16 out of 52. So when he has a rare Saturday off, I like to spend it with him. A lot of people in our lives that are outside of the profession don't understand that and get angry if I turn down an invite to a girls' night, etc. I wish they would try harder to understand our life ... my life ... as the wife of a firefighter.

Maybe this blog will help. Maybe not ... but it's a place for me to ramble on about the day to day life that I lead.

2 comments:

  1. Sarah, I know all too well what you mean! :) You have me for support!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey girl. i found your blog on the firewives.com site. and i am just a girlfriend but i all to well know what you mean. hope we get support from other girls from this.
    :)

    ReplyDelete