I realize that in the Michigan economy, having a job at all is a blessing. So don't get me wrong ... I'm glad that I have a job, but I hate it. I've hated it from the day I started and it makes me sick to my stomach whenever I pull into the parking lot. I live for weekends. If I could afford to quit and look for a new job, I would without a second glance. But I can't do that, not to mention the fact that there simply aren't any jobs to be had in this area right now (and especially not ones with a comparable salary).
Most of the people that I work with don't have outside friends (they are friends with each other - I'm not) or interests outside of work. Most of them have worked there since they got out of high school and never went to college. I have a Master's Degree. Most of them are in their 50's or older. I'm 29. I was 23 when I got hired and since being hired, I've gotten my MA, met my husband, got engaged and married and now we're trying to start a family. My coworkers are grandparents. I have a ton of outside interests and friends that I see after work and on weekends.
I had a meeting with one of my bosses the other day at work and she basically said that since most of my coworkers go in on Saturday mornings from 7am-noon and stay til 5:30pm during the week that I should "seriously consider" doing the same. And that I should also make a point to come in on my Mondays off (I work 7am-4:30pm - 9.5hrs - so that I can have every other Monday off). If I worked the extra hours though, there is no extra overtime pay. They would give me comp time to have time off later. Except that I wouldn't have any time to take off since I'd basically be living at work. My boss said that she knows I have a life outside of work, but that I should really make work my #1 priority above my family and friends. I just looked at her like she was crazy. ARE YOU KIDDING ME?
I fell into this job after I finished a year-long internship as a high school teacher. There weren't any teaching jobs available and I was offered this position. I figured it would be short-term and that I would get a teaching job within the first year or two. That never happened and I really feel stuck. My teaching certificate expires next month and I know that there really aren't any schools that are hiring teachers right now anyway. But I don't know where else to look.
And the other problem is that the husband and I hope to have a baby in 2010. We want to be pregnant soon. How do I potentially search for a new job with the prospect of having a baby? It just really stinks and I am just so upset about it. It makes me want to scream, cry and punch something (or someone, namely my bosses). I am not lazy, I work like crazy! I have a part time job after work, tutoring college students in French. I also own a business for event planning, though that has taken more of a backseat lately with everything else going on.
UGH. It's just so frustrating. Thanks for reading this gripe session.
Sunday, May 24, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


I'm so sorry you have to feel this way. ::hugs::
ReplyDeleteWow, that just sounds terrible. I would totally want to punch your boss in the face. I am so sorry you have to go through this. I know what it's like to hate your job until it makes you sick (my last couple were like that). Hang in there hun.
ReplyDelete