AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

How is this even a little bit ok?

Mr. FEO works for a busy fire department. Not quite the D, but close enough in regards to the amount of fires they get and the type of clientele they service.

He is the officer in charge of one of the engine companies. He has been with this department since 1996. (I tease him about this because I was still in high school at that time - bad wifey! LOL)

The engine company he currently works on - which used to have 2 firefighters, one driver and one officer - is now diminished to one firefighter (who has to drive) and one officer (Mr. FEO).

Mr. FEO had to pull hose into a burning dwelling ALONE last week, while the firefighter ran the pump. It took the other engine companies (from across town) over 5min longer to get there. I realize it wasn't a super long time to be alone in a fire, but any amount of time alone in a burning building is too much if you ask me.

I hate the fact that Mr. FEO and the rest of his department took 14% paycuts last year to prevent layoffs, AND they didn't replace those who left due to injury or retirement. I don't think it's fair that he does one of the most dangerous jobs and continues to receive less and less in return, especially since if the new budget doesn't pass they are going to have to lay off the guys they saved last year with the paycut.

It scares the living daylights out of me that he is being required to do things like this, and who knows how often? I'm sure he doesn't tell me everything because he doesn't want me to worry.

I just don't think it's right and I wish there was something to be done.

If I worried about him when he was at work before, this worry has quadrupled now. Hug your significant others and tell them you love them every chance you get! You just never know what tomorrow will bring.

No comments:

Post a Comment