For those of you that don't already know, I work as a claims representative at a local Social Security office. Once a week or so we all rotate working the front end reception area. Today is one of those days that I'm wearing the receptionist hat. This means that despite my education, the customers assume I'm little more than a high school graduate - if that - and treat me like I'm scum of the earth. Oh wait, isn't that most of my clientele? (Did I say that out loud .... oops!)
So here's a summary of my interaction with one such customer:
1. Why in the world would you laminate your child's SSN card? It plainly says NOT to laminate it, right on the back of the card.
2. When I tell you I can issue a replacement since the laminated one is not valid, why would you argue me?
3. Furthermore, why would you sign your child's name on the card? That's forgery and not legal. I know a 5 year old didn't write cursive and sign their own name.
4. When I ask for photo ID and you hand me one that's been expired for 3 years, why would you tell me it's valid? I can read the date and it says 2006.
5. Why would you tell me I'm treating you poorly and being rude when I tell you what I want to do to help you correct this problem?
Sometimes I really want to shake people.
So a word to all of my e-friends, friends and any other readers - when you have a child and you request their SSN card, do not sign it for them and do not laminate the card. I understand that they are made of paper, but since you aren't supposed to carry it around with you anyway - remember about identity theft? - it shouldn't be a problem. The SSN card should remain unsigned until the child is applying for his/her first job.
And please, when you go to the Social Security Office, it is appreciated when you are kind to the receptionists.
Thank you!!!
Wednesday, September 2, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


Oh man, some people just don't get it! I hope your day up front goes quickly and another one doesn't come around for a while!
ReplyDeleteUgh, what an idiot! Sorry you had to deal with weirdos all day! Hope tomorrow is better.
ReplyDelete